Tonight as the temperature begins to fall, wind chills will reach the -15 to -30*F overnight and into Tuesday. These temperatures are dangerous to be out in. Exposed skin can become frost bit in just 10-15 minutes. Here are some helpful safety tips to follow:
- Be sure to bring your pets indoors so they are sheltered from these dangerous wind chill temperatures.
- Check on your neighbors and loved one to ensure they have heat and are okay in their homes.
- If you are using a space heater to supplement heat in your home, be sure to give it 3′ in all directions from flammable materials.
- Do not use an oven or stove top for supplemental heat, nor use outdoor items such as a grill for heat.
- Leave a trickle of water running in your sink to prevent freezing pipes.
- Limit out door activites to just a couple of minutes and be sure to cover all skin.
- When traveling, be sure to have a fully charged cellular phone and let family / friends know your route of travel and expected ETA.