Gas Stoves Should Never be used as a Heater

The Dangers of Heating Your Home With An Oven

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning. If you have a gas oven, you’re putting yourself at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning if you try to use the oven for heat. Carbon monoxide is invisible, odorless, and tasteless, so you won’t be able to tell if it’s seeping into your home. Moderate levels of the gas can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, and fainting (it is sometimes mistaken for the flu). High levels can be fatal. When you use your appliances correctly, you don’t need to worry about carbon monoxide poisoning, but using a gas oven as a heater is not the proper way to employ the appliance.

Unattended High Heat. Leaving an oven, which can create an abundance of heat, alone while active is very dangerous. If you have children or pets, they could be seriously burned through accidental contact with the oven. There is also a chance that something might fall into the oven or onto the stove (like a napkin or cloth) and create a fire.