A Warming Center is a drop-in area for residents to visit during cold temperatures to find temporary heat. These locations are not shelters; they do not provide bedding, nor food and beverages they will provide seating only.
Current Operating Warming Centers in Madison County
The Christian Center 8AM – 8PM 625 Main St, Anderson (765) 649-4264
Community Hospital Anderson 8PM-8AM 1515 N Madison Ave, Anderson *OVERNIGHTS ONLY*
- Citizens wishing to seek shelter at Community should enter the Emergency Department entrance and check-in with Security in the lobby. The Security officer will escort them to the designated room.
St. Vincent Anderson Regional Hospital 8PM-8AM 2015 Jackson St, Anderson *OVERNIGHTS ONLY*
- St. Vincent Anderson Regional is prepared to assist individuals who need a warm place this winter. During dangerously cold temperatures, if someone needs a place to get warm, they should go to our Emergency Room entrance and ask for Security. Security will then make appropriate arrangements for them.
St. Vincent Mercy Hospital 1331 S A St, Elwood OPEN 24 Hours
- St. Vincent Mercy Elwood is available for area residents seeking a warming center. They need to enter the emergency walk-in entrance and present to the front desk, advise staff and have them advise security. Call (765) 552-4600 if you wish to notify them prior to arrival.
Criteria for activating a Warming Center:
• 31ᵒ or lower for 48 consecutive hours, or
• A Wind Chill Advisory has been issued when wind chill values will reach -5°F to -19°F, with wind speeds around 10 mph or more.
• A Wind Chill Watch or Warning has been issued when wind chill values will reach -20°F or colder, with wind speeds around 10 mph or more. A Wind Chill Watch is issued when these conditions may be met 12 to 48 hours in the future.